Ministerio de Transportes y Movilidad Sostenible

Road Transport

Header Image

Versión en castellano

Before 31 December 2020, companies and professionals that transport passengers to the United Kingdom must be prepared for the new situation, which implies changes in the management of their operations as of 1 January 2021.

New information

It is very important to remember that the certificates obtained under the Community regulations on land transport and that are reciprocally recognised in this area, will no longer be subject to this framework. This means that certificates of professional competence and qualification cards for professional drivers issued by the United Kingdom will not be valid within the EU from 1 January 2021, for example.

Therefore, if a professional passenger or freight driver is the holder of a CPC certificate of professional competence and qualification card for professional drivers issued by the UK and wishes to work for a company established in a member state after Brexit, they should obtain a new card, which will imply carrying out the appropriate continuous training course in said State.

Requirements for Spanish road haulage operators to transport goods to the United Kingdom:

a)    Goods transport:

The Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the European Union and the United Kingdom provides for free bilateral (EU-United Kingdom) transport, i.e. without quotas, for road freight carriers between the EU and the United Kingdom. This means that Spanish road

haulage companies will be able to continue to carry out unlimited operations from anywhere in the EU to the UK, and back from the UK to any part of the EU without limitation, under the protection of their community licenses.

As regards coastal trade operations, as of 1 January 2021, the number of permitted operations is reduced from three in seven days, to only two in seven days, after international transport.

The main change in the transport of goods by road in the Brexit scenario is motivated by customs and non-customs controls that did not have to be complied with before, when operating within the internal market.

b)    Passenger transport by bus.

Under the same current terms, regular and special regular transport is guaranteed in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, so that Spanish companies authorized to transport goods with the United Kingdom may continue to do so based on their authorization.

Discretionary transport will be developed under the Interbus Agreement.

Frequently asked questions and answers about the impact of Brexit in relation to Land Transport

I am a Spanish road transporter. What do I need to transport goods to the United Kingdom after 1 January 2021?

Community licenses for the international transport of goods shall remain valid within the United Kingdom.

I am a Spanish road transporter with a community license and I want to transport oranges from Almería to London and later, coastal operation between London and Birmingham. What will I have to do if I this shipment is sent after 1 January 2021?

Incoming international transport to the UK and subsequent coastal transport can continue as before with your Community license. However, you should bear in mind that the latter is limited to a maximum of two operations a week from termination of the incoming international transport to the United Kingdom.

Are there special provisions to ensure the transport of goods by road between Ireland and the rest of the EU?

The Agreement allows the right of transit. This means that EU carriers can cross Great Britain to reach Ireland (the so-called "land bridge"). These provisions will allow the continuation of logistics links between Ireland and the rest of the EU via the UK.

Will bus services operate as before between the EU and the UK?

The Agreement between the EU and the UK will allow regular international bus services to continue between the EU and the UK. Their provisions are the same as those of the Interbus Agreement Protocol on regular and special regular services, which are expected to enter into force during 2021. As of the entry into force of said Protocol, the equivalent provisions of the Agreement will not apply.

Occasional international services will be performed in accordance with the 2002 Interbus multilateral agreement, which covers the EU and currently seven non-EU countries. The UK will adhere to that agreement on 1 January 2021.

The Agreement also includes special provisions applicable to Ireland, where discretionary bus services connecting Southern and Northern Ireland may continue in the same way as before.

If I transport passengers or goods to the UK, do I have to use a tachograph?

You must comply with both the regulations on driving and rest times and the use of the tachograph as well as the rest of the regulations that currently govern such transport and in accordance with which it is carried out, in particular, drivers’ working conditions, their required professional qualification, technical requirements to be met by the vehicles and the conditions under which carriers access the Union road transport market.

You can expand information on the following websites: